Skip,

I converted an '80's era H10-40A David Clark aviation headset. Adapting it for use with the K3 required a complete rebuild. The microphone isn't the only issue. The headband, domes, and mike boom can be salvaged, but you may want to consider replacing the remaining parts.

The original aviation spec microphone is not a good match for amateur radio. Consider replacment with an Acousticom 5730-CA electret, a communications mike that works well with the K3. It's an easy fit to the David Clark wire boom, not expensive, and produces good audio with TX EQ settings set to "0".

The original earphones were wired for 150 ohms (300 ohms each, wired in parallel, mono audio). They were replaced with original David Clark 19 ohm, Part# 10376G-30, available on ebay for $12.00 each. The earphone frequency response is 200 - 5500 Hz, excellent for CW and SSB, forget the ipod.

To use the two speaker output of the K3, you'll have to replace the original headset wiring to provide separate audio to each earphone. Acousticom also has a wire assembly with microphone wires and stereo speaker wires in one outer jacket, separated on one end to attach two 3.5mm plugs that you need for the K3.

The original foam ear seals were broken down from age. They didn't seal well, and extended wear caused ear pain. They were replaced with the gel filled type. Gel seals won't compress, are more comfortable, and provide a better seal from noise.

I wouldn't recommend this if you have to purchase an old headset, but if you already have one and want to put it to use, the rebuild may be worth considering. When you get done, you'll have a decent headset that can be used in a noisy environment.

73,

Dwayne WV5I