I thoroughly agree with Kev about "getting on the air."

I teach two and sometimes three Morse Code classes every Saturday morning. The students all KNOW the code. They can accurately copy 10 WPM and above, and can send quite decently. But no matter how much I encourage, cajole, or "coddle," they resist my pleas to get "on the air" for all kinds of reasons, but primarily two -- either no one comes back to them or all they can find are speed demons who won't slow down.

The worse thing the FCC ever did for amateur radio (in my opinion) was the elimination of the non-renewable Novice license with the concomitant doing away of the Novice sub-bands. Those were safe-harbors for neophytes to find each other, work each other, and improve each other without feeling intimidated. The non-renewable aspect served to motivate those who were desirous of deeper involvement in communications, and to give a graceful exit to those who weren't.

All the computer programs and well-structured academies in-the-world are simply no substitute for good old-fashioned one-on-one Morse Code work between two eager and nervous operators. That's how you learn best and how you learn quickest. And an even greater dividend is that you learn about propagation, procedures, tuning skills, how receivers work, signal paths, solar effects, antenna fundamentals, and a host of other things that can't be learned on a laptop, no matter how well the application is executed or the content designed.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV