In military and commercial brass pounding in the USA, we were limited to
something between 13 and 20 wpm, usually closer to 13, because long studies
demonstrated that slower is faster because of fewer mistakes copying every
letter correctly on a keyboard or paper. And hearing whole "words" was a
path to disaster if one was copying five letter code groups.

If I was caught trying to run an Army CW net above about 15 wpm I'd likely
end up on KP for a month. (KP = kitchen police: cleaning kitchens, peeling
potatoes, etc.) The object was to ensure that everyone on the circuit could
copy perfectly the first time.

In the "day" some commercial point-to-point circuits required the operators
use the "company key" provided - a bug with the weights welded on for about
15 wpm just to keep the speeds down for faster message handling.

I've seen commercial ship/shore traffic running very slow due to a shipboard
operator who was not proficient at CW. The shore station had to run equally
slow, no matter how painful.

But Amateur Radio is a whole different world with different skills being
most useful, skills such as head copy at 20 or 30 wpm. I enjoy "reading the
mail" on CW while puttering around the shack, just as if listening to a
voice transmission. And many Hams enjoy constantly pushing the envelope on
speed just for the fun of it. Ham radio is, after all, a Hobby. If the other
station copies the name as Don, not Ron, and the QTH as Forest Lawn (a
cemetery in Los Angeles) and not Forest Grove (a town in Oregon), it's
easily corrected on the next transmission.

73, Ron AC7AC