From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Edward R Cole
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:27 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Frustration with Elecraft

I can relate to Andy's frustration and bad luck.  I fortunately have had good
luck with my Elecraft purchases and any difficulties were result of inadequate
knowledge or lack of reading over the manual sufficiently.

I recently installed the KXAT100 in my KXPA100 prior to taking a month-long
trip out of Alaska to pick up our recently purchased 5th-wheel travel trailer
in Seattle.  I tested it with the KX3 remote control on my bench but after
install in the truck it would not work properly (Not power-on from the KX3
menu).  I discovered that the power-pole connector had to be in the proper jack
(not the auxiliary power-pole jack) for that to function.

I used it mainly on 6m with a base-loaded whip.

I have one of the beta-test 2M transverter modules and it partially failed in
power output.  Elecraft got that repaired for me.  I ran 120w 2m-SSB on the
trip driving a 2w/25w driver PA for the TE1410 final amp.  It only required
0.8w drive to produce 10w drive into the final, but I worked a VE7 outside the
Vancouver area into northern WA while mobile.  KX3-2M receives quite well even
in marginal mobile conditions.

I recently traded my DEMI 222-28 transverter for a new 30w FM mobile as there
is no CW/SSB activity up here.  The new Bridgecom BCM-220 looked like a nice
substitute and I excitedly set it up upon arrival, but it would not transmit.
After much head scratching I decided maybe a call was needed to their "tech
dept".  I actually got the CEO of the company and after a couple questions
determined I was trying
to transmit out of the band.   Well the VFO indicated in band so I
was confused.  He then walked me thru checking if duplex offset was in
play...and it was.  I didn't program that?  He explained they pre-program the
radio with that and a couple repeater frequencies (apparently to aid the new
operator in setting up repeater use).  I had never experienced a new radio with
any programing so didn't look for any.  Radio worked fine once I reset offset
to zero - which was a big "duh" moment for me!  I can say I was impressed with
Bridgecom's response (so maybe they learned from watching Elecraft?).

This is still unusual in my experience with OEM's.  I spent 30 years working as
two-way radio tech with a lot of the "other" kind of tech help.

I tried to emulate Elecraft in my small kit making business; I recently closed
the doors and no longer build kits on contract.  At
72 I am finally retired.

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail: