Fuse BOTH leads at the battery...73Gil, W1RG

      From: Vic Rosenthal <k2vco....@gmail.com>
 To: Clay Autery <k...@montac.com>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:53 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 power outlets

I don't think math or difficult physics is needed. Suppose you connect the
radio directly to battery, and then suppose the battery to ground cable becomes
partially or completely disconnected. Finally, suppose you then try to start
the engine. When the starter solenoid closes, some of the high current from the
battery negative terminal flows through the negative lead to the radio, and
then to ground through the radio's mounting bracket, the coax to the antenna,
etc. The no. 10 ground wire might have to carry several hundred amps! Lots of
things can be damaged.
This is why negative leads should be fused, at least.

Vic 4X6GP

Message delivered to rmoo...@bellsouth.net