It's useful to remember that a screw (or bolt) is a spring. When tightened
it stretches lengthwise. Like any spring, it offers the best "grip" when
subjected to the right range of pressure.

Way back in my High School days (1950's - before Mercury was a toxic
substance) I watched a demonstration using a bolt and nut made of frozen
Mercury. Mercury is not elastic. Liquid Mercury was poured into molds for a
nut and bolt and hardened with liquid nitrogen. Using gloves, the
demonstrator assembled the nut and bolt using a large wrench to apply a
great deal of torque. That done, anyone could loosen it without a wrench by
just twisting the nut or bolt with minimal finger pressure (inside the
gloves of course). There was no resistance since Mercury does not stretch.

It's easy to over torque (stretch) small screws. That's why the Elecraft kit
assembly manuals do not recommend using power screwdrivers. The Elecraft
factory in Watsonville is equipped with special torque-limiting power
screwdrivers to allow quick assembly with screws not so tight they are
damaged or broken.

Since a screw is basically an inclined plane that stretches the screw when
tightened, vibration will allow the screw to turn (slide along the plane of
the threads), hence the use of lock washers or chemical compounds in such
environments to stop any movement.

Perhaps the issue with the KX2 paddles is the vibration as the contacts
collide allowing the screws to turn. Working remotely on the Elecraft
manuals I've not been directly involved with the issue, so that is pure
speculation.

73, Ron AC7AC