From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Barry Baines
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 4:34 PM
To: W7BRS Jeff Wandling
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Upgrade Path to Satellite Work.

Jeff:

> On Jul 28, 2017, at 4:04 PM, W7BRS Jeff Wandling <dew7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Years ago, I used to own a IC-910h.
>
> For some stupid reason I sold it when I got distracted by something
> else that was important.  That was about 10 years ago.  Lesson learned.
>
> I have always kept my K3 though.  I have done a bit of DX'ing with it
> for a long while.
>
> Now, I want to re-enter the Satellite work again, and I need a full
> duplex Transceiver that can also work 2m/440.
>
> Is there an upgrade path from a *SN #2100* era K3 to one that can do
>
> a) Full Duplex (I assume this means getting the K3-SUB) and
> b) Tx on 2m for uplink and Rx 440 on down,  or  Tx 2m on uplink and Rx
> 10m down.
>
> In other words, as long as I can do all of this:
>
> 1.  K3SUB can Rx 2m/440 and the main Tx 2m/440 2.  K3SUB can Rx HF and
> main Tx 2m/440
>

> I don’t expect to need to Tx 2m/440 more than 10W ever.

There is a built-in all mode Two Meter module for the K3 that you could install
(K144XV).

For 70CM, the only option for use with a K3 that I’m aware of are transverters.
 Elecraft offers transverters for various bands (See:
http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm <http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm>) or look
at product offerings from Down East Microwave.

See:  http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/category-s/1836.htm
<http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/category-s/1836.htm>

> Then, we're good.
>
> I'm lost on the elecraft page of parts/kits.  My how things have
> changed there.
>
> By the way I didn't see it, but is there a 1.2Ghz  KIT ?  Not
> required, but would be nice.

Elecraft doesn’t offer a 1.2 GHz capability but Down East Microwave does.
However, until Fox-1C and Fox-1D are launched, there aren’t any L-Band uplink
capable amateur satellites currently in service.  Fox-1C is manifested to fly
on a SpaceX Falcon-9 SSO-A launch from Vandenberg AFB in early 2018   Fox-1D is
currently expected to fly on a PSLV launch from the launch complex at Satish
Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, India in late 2017.

> Any kind soul, please help me out with an upgrade path of which kits I
> need to get to do the full-duplex Satellite work that I used to enjoy.
> (I'm all set on the antennas and such, just need the upgrades to the RIG).

Hope this helps,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Currently in Columbia, SC)

delivered to k...@arrl.net