Since Elecraft got its start in the kit world, many of the early customers were kit builders. As the reputation of the radios has grown, more hams that just want a top of the line radio that works have become customers. These people are much more likely to buy factory built, and not trust a used radio that was not factory built or recently aligned by the factory.

I'm glad I got a minimum K3 kit and had the opportunity to add features over the years. I have learned a lot about the radio's construction and use via this route.

When I ordered my K3, the big dilemma was K2 or K3. K2 pluses: real kit. Cheaper. K3 pluses: Better radio. When my XYL, after a 1/2 hour user interface conversation at an Elecraft booth, said to get the K3, i ordered the K3. I still dream of building a K2, and the 20th anniversary would be a nice excuse. However, with a K3, KX3, and my wife's KX2, I don't know that I would actually use it.

I hope that Elecraft will continue to encourage kit building, as it is the gateway toward electronic experimentation for many people. Offering package discounts on kits would be nice.

73 Bill AE6JV