Chris,

There is an alternative that I have suggested many times for the KAT100 (and KAT2) that should work with the KAT500 as well. Tune the ATU into a dummy load for those bands and antennas you want to use with the SteppIR, and then connect the real antenna. Make certain the KAT500 is set to MAN so it does not auto-tune. It may or may not be a true bypass, the the ATU L/C combinations should be set to work into a 50 ohm load. Then when you tune the SteppIR, it should be matched after its tuning process completes.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 7/30/2017 6:39 PM, Chris Tate - N6WM wrote:
Don thanks for this, indeed this is the current solution.  Although it is
rather obscure as far as indicators on the front panel.

I would like to convert this to a feature request, as It would be nice if the
firmware supported, and there was another matrix in the KAT500 Utility that
would permit a hard bypass with indicator on a per band basis.  Gives that warm
fuzzy its doing exactly what you want..

E.g. qsy to 20m.. bypass light comes on..

Chris
N6WM

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Chris Tate - N6WM
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2017 1:31 PM
To: donw...@embarqmail.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT-500 brain trust question

Thanks Don I will take a look

Thanks
~C.

On Jul 30, 2017, at 1:29 PM, Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

Chris,

Yes, see page 17 of the KAT500 manual.  Easier for you to read it than for me
to try to explain all of it.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 7/30/2017 4:01 PM, Chris Tate - N6WM wrote:
Is there a way to put the KAT500 in bypass when on certain bands?  Use case is
SteppIR on AN1 and auto tracking, and HQ antenna on ANT2 that requires tune
adjustment and memories.  KAT500 is getting band/QRG telemetry via cat from
radio.

delivered to ct...@ewnetinc.com