I have been watching this thread carefully since it began, and, combined with
my experiences over this past weekend, am now more confused than ever.  Don,
W3FPR recently (again) gave very succinct instructions for getting a good
starting audio point for the ALC readings.  I had previously not been able to
get the "four bars solid, fifth bar flickering" on my K3S for JT65 for weeks
now, no matter what I did.  Bought all the books and read all the articles
(Yes, they reference rigs that work differently than my K3S.  Understood.  I
get it)  Yesterday I decided to follow Don's instructions (as bolstered by
those from Bob, K4TAX).  Thanks to both fine gents.

I set:
K3S Mode to Data A
Band: 20 Meters (14.076)
Windows 7 Audio level OUT from computer to about 50% of scale (USB CODEC)
Line-IN level on the K3S to 30
PWR slider in the WSJT-X software to about mid-range
Set the K3S power out to 30 with rig's PO control

During a TEST transmit (using the TUNE button in the software), I adjusted the
WSJT PWR slider (downward) on the software to finally achieve the four bars
solid and fifth bar flickering.  I then switched to normal TX, the ALC reading
held fast (four solid fifth flicker) and I made a couple of QSOs.  Life was
good.  Power was still at 30, COMP 0 as set.  Seemed that Don and Bob's
comments were spot on.  I thought my K3S was good to go for all K3S digital
modes, so I touched nothing.  Then I changed bands with the K3S band switch to
15 meters.  Did a test TX on 15 with the Mode (Data A),  Power Out (30) and
Comp (0), Software PWR slider settings still untouched.  But upon *normal* TX
on 15 M the ALC had jumped to 6 solid bars.  Nothing I tried would get it back
to the desired "4 solid+5th flicker" on 15M.

Then I went back to 20M.  But, the ALC there had also changed and was now 6
solid bars.  It had changed somehow.  Power out still 30, Comp 0, etc.  Also,
now the WSJT PWR slider had moved back up above its previous mid-scale settings
as well.  I had carefully touched nothing but the BAND and TX TEST switchs on
the K3S.

Aren't the DATA A settings saved per band after doing these adjustments for
digital modes?  Why would a simple band change alter the rig's ALC setting as
well as the PWR slider in the software?  Did the new Freq somehow change the
Window's Line Out and the software's PWR slider?  Should I expect to have to
reset the settings every time I use one of the JT and FT digital modes?

I think I'll try bouncing signals off commercial tow boats on the Mississippi
River instead.  Must be easier.  "CQ the Rhonda May.......Calling the Rhonda
May, Over".     ;o)

73,  Terry W0FM