On Apr 14, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

The Pace and Edsyn soldering stations are in the $130 range. The OKI (was Metcal) soldering stations like the Wellers with front-panel temperature controls get up near $200. Of course, they all have special purpose tools that cost much, much more, but which do different things such as provide far higher heats one would ever use on a PCB (up to 1000F), desoldering tools,
etc.

Like you, I have a Hakko 936. The reason I like it over the Weller in a $100 soldering station is for the Hakko's front-panel temperature control instead of changing tips to change temperatures. Of course Weller offers front-panel temperature change too, but at substantially more money than the Hakko.

The premium for a Weller soldering station isn't quite that much if you shop around a bit. There are several variable-temperature Weller models available. The one which is most like the Hakko 936 is the WES-51. I bought the predecessor WES-50 for about $90 a few years back and a quick Google search found the WES-51 for $99 at Action. I also have a Xytronic which is quite similar and was in the $60 range when I bought mine about ten years ago.

73,
Bob, N7XY