I've been doing this for 5 or 6 about  years now.  Even QST published the
picture of me doing it.  We also used it for Field day.

It is a great idea.  The release is just a $3 servo that pulls a pin to
drop the weight.  You just need to be high enough to have enough inertia to
pull the drop line through the tree leaves.

For quick and dirty QRP work, I still use a water bottle on a string.

Mike va3mw