Bob,
Thank you very much for sharing all that. I like your dipole approach
there, getting at least one end up in the air at the roof level of that
condo. I could possibly do something like that, slingshot a line to the
rooftop of this apt bldg somehow ... Maybe with some kind of batman grapple
hook thing on the end that can snag on something hi. My big concern here is
how close the power lines are. Anyway. I am still mulling it over and
continue to work with the buddistick (or the metal downspout on this bldg
which tunes up surprisingly well on all bands).

Mostly I am just trying to keep the faith right now that something will
work out here. There is a lot of background noise here...tuning across the
bands I hear one weird "signal" after the other, swooshing in and out as i
tune the bands, which must be the horrid interference thrown out from all
the WiFi routers around here... 60 cycle noise, buzzes, pops, I mean it is
a real cacophony of sounds. There must be all kinds of intermodulation
sorts of interference, the rfi mixing with the kx3's receiver. The NB and
NR of the kx3 actually does a good job knocking a lot of that back. So far
not one contact though. Trying *not* to see my investment as a rather
expensive mini boat anchor.

I think I will buy some China HT and at least get on 2 meters (not sure I
am ready to spend the $260 on a 2 meter module for the kx3 just yet,
although I will probably add it at some point anyway.)

I wish there was some way to at least scare up some local 10 meter (line of
sight) activity here so that I could at determine if this radio is
transmitting okay. Some local HF qso's would be great... But I am not a
part of a local ham club or anything here to try and set up a sked with
anyone. Anyway... I appreciate your thoughts there, I am still trying to
figure out what I really hope to get out of ham radio. So far it is QSOs on
this Elecraft mailing list :) which is a great group here... This band is
always open as long as the internet works. :) 73s, mike.