Hi Ron, What a great story- the soul of ham radio. I had similar similar
experiences.  Fellow hams gave me stuff or sold it for little, just to give me
the experience of getting on the air. I hope that that still happens.      I am
involved with the microwavers both terrestrial and EME and that spirit is
strong. Part of it is that if we don't get others on, say 5Ghz, there is no one
else to talk with. There is more to it, though. I think it has to do with how
it feels to have your first QSO or DX, or whatever gets you excited, and
wanting others to have the same experience.
   You are right about the early HRO's, it was a screw change that changed the
bandwidth and developed into the funny butterfly swivel. Very similar idea.
I'd like to think that Elecraft designers had a similar approach to the guys
who developed the HRO and ACS with their economy of parts and innovative and
careful engineering- separated by 60years or so.
    Thanks for responding and for you story. Doug

K6JEY
drzarko...@yahoo.com
562 810 3989  cell/text