Scott,

The KX2/3 does not convert directly to audio.
It converts the RF to "baseband" which is a zero frequency IF (in the KX3). The KX2 has the "8kHz shift" built in at all times, so the IF is 8kHz rather than baseband. The KX3 can shift to the 8kHz IF if there is breakthrough of AM broadcast stations.

Again, these are not Direct Conversion receivers.

73,
Don W3FPR