Scott,

The fact that it produces I and Q outputs from the quadrature mixer puts it in the class of SDR transceivers, which are a different breed than Direct Conversion. You are free to call it what you will, but the rest of the world refers to that as an SDR.

The 8kHz shift allows the opposite sideband and other garbage to be 16 kHz away from the desired signal where it is easily dealt with - no interfering results.

73,
Don W3FPR