Larry W0OZ wrote:
So, I can carry weight if I need to, but if I'm walking up a hill in a
public park of some kind, I'll presumably be carrying a battery of some
heft one way or another, I presume, if we're assuming operating for a
long enough time it's going to be more than the built-in options.  I
haven't done this with ham gear yet, but surely, batteries aren't
lightweight.

----------------------
Something that sometimes gets overlooked about the K2 is that, while it
sports a "world class" receiver, that receiver was designed for low current
drain for portable operation. You are likely to find the K2 easier on
batteries that most of the competition.

And it's designed for flexibility so you can change between a QRP (10 to 15
watt) portable rig with self-contained antenna tuner and battery to a hefty
100 watt CW/SSB rig by simply swapping tops. That way, you leave the weight
of the 100 watt power supply behind along with the power supply for it <G>.

To really stretch your battery life, the power of the K2 can be turned down
to less than 1 watt on transmit.

If you do enough operating out in the field, you may find that you want more
battery power than the K2 carries internally, but you are not likely to find
a rig that will give you more hours of operation for a given battery weight
or the flexibility of operation than the K2.

Ron AC7AC