That is a mystery.
The KPA500 is simply an amplifier, so it should amplify the K3S PEP power for SSB the same as it does for CW. Take a look at the drive power from the K3S. If you are overdriving the KPA500 in SSB, it may be switching in an attenuator. That could result from having too much compression on your SSB setting in the K3S. Have you set the PER BAND power in the K3S to limit the power to the KPA500 when in operate mode? See the KPA500 manual pages 9 and 10.

73,
Don W3FPR