Hi all

It doesn't have to cost $800.

A couple of years ago I bought a Chinese quadcopter, complete with video
camera, 2GB micro-SD card, card-reader, spare propellers, 2.4GHz remote
controller, and including shipping - all for $68. But I think the price has
come down now. The total "diameter" of the thing is only 35cm or so. The
quadcopter at time of purchase, had various optional attachments you could
choose, not just the video camera. There were things that fired little
darts and stuff like that. So basically there is a spare channel which is
operated by a button on the remote control, no need for an additional radio
transmitter. Of course it doesn't have things like GPS hovering and you
don't want to fly it in any kind of wind, any at all.

I have a plan to hoist a wire over my next door neighbour's tree. My
previous attempt to THROW it over the tree by standing on my rooftop did
manage to land in the middle of the tree but was hardly OVER it, and in
hindsight trying to throw it while balancing on the roof didn't seem like
it would increase my life expectancy any. A storm took down the wire. And
the quadcopter seems a better solution.

A few weeks back, I did go out one morning early, before the sea breeze
started up. I was all ready to give it a go, but I discovered that the
fishing line I have is a little too short. Then I remembered how one
earlier attempt at throwing fishing line into the tree from the roof had
resulted in a lot of tangled up line which had to be thrown away. Now I
have bought some more line and yet to get around to a retry.

Even that tiny cheap quadcopter had plenty of power to lift the fishing
line to around twice the tree height (I guess about 60 feet), and it had
still enough power to lift the plastic reel that the end of the line was
tired to.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com