Thanks for the replies; great suggestions!
I went with the ACC port for now. It is all working fine after a mini
debacle described below:
At first plugging in my newly made cable from the diagram on the ACOM
website, I only got "CAT error" on the ACOM 600s. Checked all my settings,
all good. Double checked my cable; all correct to the ACOM provided diagram.
Then I checked my cable with the K3 manual and found that I had BAND2 OUT on
pin 10 on the K3 side while the K3 manual says pin 9 is the one to use.
Double checked the ACOM diagram and it depicts pin 10. Read the text on the
ACOM diagram and it says to use pin 9. Switched to pin 9 and all works
correctly. Sent an email to ACOM to let them know about the error. Note that
ACOM support has been excellent.

Below is the diagram V1.2 from the ACOM 600s download page on the ACOM
website.
Note the text for BAND2 OUT is correct for the K3 side with pin 9; the
diagram incorrectly shows pin 10.
V1.0 and V1.1 text matches the diagram for BAND2 OUT.

<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/t387424/ACOM_600s_K3_BCD_CAT_cable_v1.jpg>

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/