I know personally (not FOF) of one death due to a hanging RF cable, in this case a cb antenna. Don't just leave the lead to your antenna hanging. I use very inexpensive switches from epay that have a grounded off.

MOV devices only absorb a finite, unpredictable, number of hits. In other words, the next hit may be the device's failure. There are other devices that are better. As with ground fault outlets, you only need one good protective device per AC circuit. In fact, on the ordinary household service, one industrial strength device on each side of the 220 service at the breaker box is needed. Look up "whole house surge suppressor" online. Some of the "best" have mov's. I have not looked lately at availability of non-mov units, which I could recommend. Multiple outlet strips with surge protection have in general mov's that are too samll. I personally don't trust them.

ARRL has a very good guide to grounding and protection.

73 and happy grounding

--
Dr. Don Latham
PO Box 404, Frenchtown, MT, 59834