On Mar 20, 2006, at 1:04 PM, k8rs wrote:

Now, I would like to know the latest and best suggestions on the RTTY filter widths and which frequency markers to insert on Spectrogram. Do you use two markers 170 Hz apart?

Depends on the software you are using. You can use the "low" tones of 1275 and 1445 Hz, or the standard tones of 2125 and 2295, or you can use anything in between that is 170 Hz apart, with the Mark tone being lower (assuming you use LSB, which will make the mark tone the higher frequency transmitted). Whatever your software would allow.

The problem with using the higher tones with the K2 is that you may not have sufficient BFO range to program both sidebands correctly without modifying the BFO. Increasing the BFO range will reduce the precision of each step, so it may make it harder to get all the filters aligned to the same frequency.

When I modified my K2 for RTTY, I ended up choosing 1500 Hz as the center frequency (mark of 1415 Hz and space of 1585 Hz) My reason for choosing this instead of the low tones is that the second harmonic of the low mark tones (2550 Hz) would be on the edge of the SSB passband.

The other reason was so I could program the KDSP2 for RTTY. It doesn't allow the user to choose anything but 100 Hz increments for the center frequency

As it was, I ended up changing the BFO circuit to get enough range. I added caps to C173/4 (I think that's right), but didn't get quite enough range. A 2 pf cap across one end of the crystal to ground fixed that. This mod is documented in the archives.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901