That seems odd. I live in a community of about 2000 spread over an area of 450 square miles. There is power and phone service to every house. Internet is either satellite or over the cellular network. My noise level on 20 meters is less than S1 and usually doesn't even move the meter. 80 and 40 are typical of atmospheric conditions. Even on my full-size 40 meter vertical the noise level is typically S1 to S2.

You must just have some really bad luck. I think I live in a typical rural community where the only real noise generator is a cranky electric fence.

Doug -- K0DXV

On 12/1/17 6:49 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
Wayne and all:

A graphic example is my experience when I first arrived in Alaska to live in a small town of 75 people at end of 16-mile dead-end gravel road surrounded by the Chugach NF. I rented a one-room cabin 14x16 foot with a wood stove- that's all. No electricity, no telephone, no running water, no toilet - just an outhouse. Nearest electric power was 3-miles away. Hooking up my battery operted TS-180S to a 80m dipole the s-meter did not budge off zero. I could hear out to 800-1000 mile everynight on 80m. All HF bands were quiet.

Ten years later the electric utility extended lines to my property and I had both power and phone service. Noise went up to S3. Population of the town grew to 150 and the main road was paved.

Now I live about 100 miles west of there in a community of 4,000+ 12 miles from a small city of 7,500. 80m runs S5 on a quiet day; 6m is also S5 noise floor.

So good luck finding that quiet place (beyond civilization)! I live on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska with area about the same as Ireland and pop of 55,000. Everyone has wireless junk so "there goes the neighborhood".

I still can hear the occasional ATV, dirt bike or snowmachine pass by the house.

Next move is the backside of the Moon!  LOL
73, Ed - KL7UW

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:51:41 -0800
From: Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
To: Randy Farmer <w...@tx.rr.com>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 PRE function question

This is why about half of our product line is intended for use outdoors, hopefully far from most noise sources. I?m always amazed to see noise drop from S6 to S0 on 20 meters, for example, when I hike up the hill at a park that?s a quarter mile from civilization.

If you do it often enough, you can cancel your gym membership :)

Wayne
N6KR

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com