From: Gary Smith <g...@ka1j.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:10 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] N1MM+ & K3/K3s & Diversity

I worked the ARRL 160 this last weekend,

ran QRP. I had a couple technical problems

that came up, one relates to the K3s. I'm

asking here first if someone has

experienced this.

I prefer running the K3s in Diversity in

the contests. I find it is more helpful to

take the -3 dB loss (or whatever it is)

when using diversity than to hear louder

when only using the one Rx. Diversity

helps in the tough times to allow me to

hear almost undecipherable details when

the band condition collapses.

During the contest the K3s would slip out

of diversity and leave the Rx at a

previous point and I would also hear the

VFO A frequency. It got confusing when

this happened and no, I didn't bump the

diversity button accidentally. I was using

the Marker A & encoder on the P3 to

navigate me through the signals, not the

VFO A knob.

I never saw it happening, it would be a

discovery when I would hearing a call I'd

worked earlier while onto a new station to

listen to and I'd see the diversity light

was not flashing but the sub RX was still

engaged. I never looked to see if it was

the last station I worked or back farther.

The one possible time I might have noticed

something happening was when I heard the

the effect of listening to the VFO B knob

turning on the crowded band while

listening to a fixed signal on VFO A. I

noticed the effect, looked at the K3s and

sure enough the diversity had somehow

unlocked. (What I have no idea of is if

that sound was someone QSYing or my radio

QSYing) This happened 5-6 times in the

contest. It never has happened before that

I remember.

Also using Win4K3Suite (good program) &

K1EL's USB winkey at the same time with

N1MM.

Any idea what might be happening and how

to prevent it from doing this again?

Thanks & 73,

Gary

KA1J