Hi Don,

Thank you for the great explanation.

I must have had the ATT on when I did the original power measurement
(rough)  on the SDR

I tested again and this time I get:

-77dBm - Preamp On
-55dBm - Preamp Off
-74dBm - ATT on

Just relative differences with the absolutes unique to my setup of course.

The VFO signal is in the noise with the antenna disconnected from both KX2
and SDR.
The VFO signal is lower when using separate antennas for each as would be
expected.

I was just not used to seeing a signal like that when using the SDR to
track superhet's before, so it had me scratching my head for a bit until I
considered the Rx architecture of the KX2(3).

Thank you for helping me get everything organized in my thinking, sometimes
that is a monumental task!

73 de KV4TT - Mike

KX2 s/n 2300