Good Evening,

    It was a beautiful day to take a hike. Sunny, 50 degrees, with spiders building webs in hope of catching the early insects. The bracken fern has died back to where the contours of the ground are exposed allowing me to find footing with little danger. Normally they range from 3 feet to 7 feet in height hiding any deadfalls and burrows. I was able to break a trail to a nearby intermittent stream. Before the forest had been clearcut the stream to my south flowed year round. Now it is seasonal until well below my elevation. As the forest regrows it becomes steady at ever higher elevations. Great place to build a blind to monitor the elk who bed nearby. With the fern die off they are walking new trails which I follow. Elk are tall enough to find paths where I don’t have to duck; our local Black-tailed deer are much shorter. Often their trails coincide but when a branch intervenes the elk walk around while the deer duck beneath it. I am lazy, I follow the elk path.

   The sun has sent us some ions, the aurora are active over Hudson Bay. Once this storm settles down we may have improved propagation. One can never tell. But radio is like fishing: if you don’t make a few casts you’ll never catch a fish and if you don’t catch a fish at least you were out fishing – can’t beat that.

Please join us tomorrow on:

14050 kHz at 2300z Sunday (3 PM PST Sunday)
  7045 kHz at 0100z Monday (5 PM PST Sunday)

73,
Kevin. KD5ONS

_