I am going to order another KX3 this week. Probably tomorrow.  The last one I ordered in 2012 did not have the roofing filter option and I do not THINK I missed it.

I use ONLY CW and I do NOT contest.  I like to CASUALLY chase DX and I play in low stress sprints like NAQCC but mostly I just like to RAG CHEW.

My antenna is an EFHW installed as a "half square" in trees at 30 feet (MyAntennas 4010).

I have reviewed the Elecraft site notes, and done a fair amount of Googling and I now am more confused than ever.  It seems that the real value lies in dealing with strong signals, crowded bands and ferocious contesting conditions.

My bottom line question is this:  If I DO NOT get the roofing filter option will my KX3 receiver be LESS SENSITIVE?  The Sherwood report shows a pre-amp off sensitivity of .9 uv which improves to a very impressive .09 with the preamp on.  Is this somehow related to the roofing filter?

I am especially concerned because I remember doing an A/B comparison on a weak signal between my previous KX3 and my 55 year old Drake 2B and the 2B beat the crap out of the factory built KX3.  I can't help wondering if the roofing filter I didn't buy in 2012 had something to do with this.

I sure could use a real simple answer:  buy it or don't buy it?  CW sensitivity is my ultimate goal because if I can't hear 'em I can't work 'em.

Thanks and 73,
Stan WB2LQF