>>> which I need for AM and SWL. I
>> also dabble in ESSB. <<<
Bill, according to the Scripture of HAM Radio, AM, SWL, and even more so, ESSB,
 is not Ham Radio. Please do not listen below 200Hz, and above 2400Hz. Should
you persist, you'll get cavities, and eventually go deaf. This is in accordance
to the GOSPEL of Jim K9YC.
Milverton / W9MMS.

    On Tuesday, February 6, 2018, 7:40:49 AM CST, Jim Brown
<j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 2/5/2018 10:13 AM, Alan wrote:
> On 02/05/2018 07:58 AM, Bill wrote:
>
>> I did receive a couple of direct replies indicating I might well be
>> disappointed in the low end department - which I need for AM and SWL. I
>> also dabble in ESSB.
>
> I'm not an expert in speaker design but I have dabbled a little. I
> think that to get good bass response in a small enclosure you have to
> give up efficiency - it takes a lot more power to drive the speaker.
>
> Basically it's a tradeoff between small size, good bass response and
> good efficiency - pick any two.

This is a good description of the tradeoffs. BUT -- there is NO useful
energy in human speech below about 200 Hz, and a cone doesn't have to be
very big to reproduce that with reasonable efficiency. We're not
reproducing music here. Riley Hollingsworth, our hero who cleaned up ham
radio in his gig at the FCC before he retired a decade or so ago, said
it quite well; "if you want to transmit hi-fi, buy a radio station."

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to tnny...@yahoo.com