From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Petiford via
Elecraft
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 12:08 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Best Batteries for KX-3?

 First, and most important, don't leave alkaline cells in your radio for long
periods.  They will eventually leak.  If you have the KXBC3 installed, I
suggest high quality Low Self Discharge (LSD) NiMh cells such as Eneloops,  If
you don't have the KXBC3 installed, non-rechargeable Lithium cells would be a
good choice, although those are pretty pricey where I live.  I could quickly
justify the cost of a KXBC3 based on the price of non-rechargeable Lithium
cells.

The Eneloop LSD Rechargeable cells have a great track record.  I've had my
Eneloop 2000 cells since February 2013 with no problems.  I think I am finally
just starting to detect signs of reduced capacity, so maybe it is time to
upgrade them to the newer, higher capacity Eneloops.

I have tried non-LSD NiMH cells from time to time, but they really don't work
very well.  They quickly self-discharge to below 1 volt per cell, damaging
themselves in the process.  Don't waste you money on them.  Cells that are
shipped fully charged are usually LSD.

 On Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 7:27:18 PM PST, Dennis W0JX via Elecraft