To those wanting 144/432 MHz operation, perhaps Elecraft should increase the KX2 price by $50 and pack a Baofeng 144/432 transceiver with the KX2. Oh yeah, it will not do CW and SSB (only FM), but most of the LEO satellites are FM, so it would work for most all the satellite communications work available today. That radio provided satellite credit at out last local club's Field Day.

If you want low power FM satellite communications, there are many choices available. I do have a Baofeng, but only use it when I am with a group of friends at a hamfest and want communications capability. The FT-817 (yes, I do own one) is too heavy to carry with me on normal ventures.

OK, I am mainly an HF ham, and do not care much for the VHF/UHF stuff, I only use it for local club conversations and for ECOM work with the local network when it is activated. Just so you know my orientation.

73,
Don W3FPR