Gordon,

I don't know how you would use any soundcard data to check that, but if you have an instrument that can extract crystal parameters, that will work.  It is easier to just assume your crystal set is somewhere close to the midpoint, and that is 3.6.

When you get it all together, you can use Spectrogram (or another audio spectrum analyzer) to optimize where the filter passband is placed. You can download a copy of Spectrogram from my website www.w3fpr.com - scroll near the bottom of the opening page to find the links. There is some information on my K2 Dial Calibration article about using Spectrogram. For more detail along with pictures, look at the Tom Hammond (SK) N0SS website at http://www.mmccs.com/mmarc/n0ss/index_k2.html (do not use the Spectrogram download link you will see there - use the link to the local files on my website).

73,
Don W3FPR