Chip,

A string of dashes means somehow the dash line is being activated (or grounded) - normally the ring contact on the key plug unless you have reversed the paddles.
Do you have the key plug inserted all the way?

Put a bare stereo plug in the key jack and read the voltage on the tip and ring - you should see 5 volts.

Look at the R1 and R2 resistors on the RF Board next to the key jack, they should both be 220 ohms (they may be easier seen by removing the left side panel).

If that is all good, consider replacing the diodes with Schottkey diodes.

73,
Don W3FPR