Greetings,

I'm one of the lurkers who follow this list, but haven't had anything to
contribute. I am currently 1/2 way through my one year deployment to Kuwait and
put together a KX1 here in my billeting to try to make a DXpedition out of the
rest of my time here. I have a big plastic tote to use as my footlocker and
spread a towel on it to make a work surface. The kit went together fine: my
challenges have been elsewhere. I've got plenty of wire with which to make an
antenna, but the tents are only 12' at the peak, there are no trees. Vertical
support is an obstacle. I found a PAC 12 vertical second-hand on one of the
trader pages.  For a guy that enjoys stringing wire, a store-bought antenna is
a bitter pill to swallow.  I do like the design, though.  I'm eager to transmit
through it.
Reciprocal licensing is a challenge, too. The ministry only accepts the form
filled in Arabic, and it has to be hand-carried. I am submitting the
application tomorrow, so hopefully that will go smoothly.
I am taking 2 weeks of leave soon. My wife and I will meet in Scotland. I am
looking forward to operating there where I don't have the licensing hoops to
jump through.

For people looking for a wallet in which to carry your KX1: a "military"
accessory company called Spec.-Ops. makes a Mini Cargo Pocket Organizer that
fits the KX1 like a glove. It is a heavy-duty nylon that is very durable. You
do have to take the paddle off the radio, though. The organizer is found at:
http://www.specopsbrand.com/main.html

73s

CPT Drew Neve
Battle Captain