On 12/04/18 17:46, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
> 32-bit Linux is pretty dead as OS on desktops/laptops. Sure, many embedded
> systems still are 32-bit, but the K3 Utility is a desktop application.
>
> Johan, SM0XHJ
Speak for yourself Sir.

There are 100's of 1000's of us out here with older hardware, happily
running current 32 bit os's such as Mint 18.x 32 bit, and all works fine.

Why follow the MS/Apple flock of sheep, just because they are moving to
64 bit systems?

There is no advantage for 99.9% of users, to move to a 64 bit OS,
whatever the flavor.

The hardware wont support the oft quoted 10's of GB of RAM (even if the
CPU might.)   Plus, for the ram we've got, with the system maxed out (be
that 4, 8, 12 or more GB) any given app takes twice the space compared
to 32 bit code, same with the storage.

It's marketing BS foisted on us by the likes of MS and that Fruit company.

Plus you then have to load 32 bit compatibility tools in some OS's, to
carry on running the software you have!

So why bother...

As to the K3/KX3 utility, well, the transfer to the radio is over an 8
bit wide path.  Need I say more.

73.

Dave G0WBX.