First, just to be transparent I worked as an software engineer at Microsoft for
20 years.

I agree there is sometimes no need for some users to move from a 32-bit system,
to a 64-bit system. For example, if you have a computer dedicated in your
shack, and mostly run apps for amateur radio or the internet, do not do run
multiple programs simultaneously and switch between them frequently or do a lot
of code crunching or image processing than you may not need a 64-bit machine.
Also, since it is very unlikely that most amateur radio apps will likely be
ported to 64-bit anytime soon.

However, there is tremendous advantage of a 64-bit system over a 32-bit system
for many users who use their computers for more complex operations besides
running a few limited apps and browsing the web.

Simply put, a 64-bit system will process large amounts of data through RAM more
efficiently compared to a 32-bit system. In layman's terms that means that
searching a large database of QSO's will take less time; especially if you have
other apps running in the background.

While a 64-bit system will use more memory space compared to a 32-bit system;
it is false to say the space is 2x more.

The 64-bit system also allows users to exceed the 4Gb limit of 32-bit systems.
And many modern apps are memory intensive. Also many users who multi-task apps
on their computers, use memory intensive programs (photo processing, code
crunching, etc.) or use browser apps that are constantly auto refreshing, will
greatly benefit from a 64-bit system. Also, while a 64-bit system will use 4GB
of RAM more effectively, I personally would not recommend anything less than
8GB of RAM.

BJ
WA7WJR
XV9WJR