I think you'll find that many of today's transceivers DO NOT have a low resistance connection between the negative supply lead and chassis.

Larry N8LP

On 4/17/2018 5:37 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 10
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 22:39:44 -0700
From: Alan<n...@sonic.net>
To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Issue 12 re Astron Power Supply

You're right.  If all the devices run from the same 12V power supply and
they are all bonded together, then there is nothing to prevent some of
the transceiver return current flowing in the negative power supply
leads of the other devices.  Hopefully the transceiver power leads use
much heavier wire so most of the current will flow in them.  And if the
plus and minus leads are close together and tightly twisted then that
should reduce hum and noise coupling.

Ideally every device would have its own 12V power supply, each with
floating ground.  Then there would be no "ground loop".  (Sorry Jim, I
know you don't like that term.)

Alan N1AL