Don, thanks for the comments. I didn't mention it in my prior post, but setting the mike gain to achieve ~4.5 bars on the ALC meter is indeed something I paid a lot of attention to.

On that general topic, I've heard others talk about a couple of strategies for making sure that you're getting a clean digital signal out that isn't overmodulated. One is to have a local friend take a look at your signal as received at their location. Another apparently is to run your transceiver into a dummy load, then use an SDR or similar receiver close by with a hank of wire as an antenna to sample the signal you're putting out. I can't remember, however, if those discussions were in the context of Elecraft radios. Does it seem reasonable to run my KX3 into a dummy load (perhaps with the power out turned down) and listen to it with, say, an SDRplay to evaluate the signal out? Keeping the levels low of course to protect the SDR.

One other point about the audio setup for digital. When I was getting my gear configured, I tried using a couple of different soundcard devices. One of them seemed to work fine with both right and left stereo channels plugged in between the soundcard and KX3. When I tried the other soundcard, however, I got a PTT error when powering up the KX3. After I unplugged the stereo channel on that soundcard that went to the ring connector on the KX3 mike in, everything worked fine. Is that a problem known to occur with some soundcards?

Thanks again,

Frank K6FOD