Why not just use the amp as-is near the 220V outlet and run longer RF coax
cables to the amp from your operating position?

Dave
AD6A

Sent from my  iPhone X

On Apr 28, 2018, at 6:54 AM, Dauer, Edward <eda...@law.du.edu> wrote:

The KPA1500 Manual states that “the power supply can be operated remotely” and
that the supplied cables are 66 inches long.  It does not say how far apart,
beyond the 66 inches, the PS and the amp can be without affecting performance
or creating other issues.

Does anyone know?  There are apparently three cables – the main HV, the 15-pin
control, and the 12VDC phono plug cable for remote turn-on of the amp.

I am thinking about buying a KPA1500 but may have trouble bringing 220 VAC into
the shack.  One electrician I hired long ago to look at the question told me it
could not be done in an aesthetically acceptable way given the nature of the
construction of the basement walls where the station is.  That's why I bought
the KPA500 rather than a KW amp at the time. There is a 220 VAC outlet in
another room on another floor of the house, which might allow me to lay some
long cables while I am trying to figure out how to get 220 into the shack.  It
is used to power the cook-top so the current capacity is likely sufficient -
which I check by looking at the breakers.

The tripping hazard of doing this might itself be unacceptable, but I’d like to
think about it.  The other possibility would be using a 220 VAC extension cord
and locating the PS in the shack itself, but that seems even more dangerous . .
.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks, as always,

Ted, KN1CBR