At the risk of spinning this off topic, I am reminded of the lesson I
learned years ago when I drilled a through hole through the foundation for
our low voltage walkway wiring.

I wondered at the efficacy of my brand new shiny Dewalt hammer drill
because it was taking me freaking hours to go a few inches through the
concrete.  After a couple of these tortuous hours, I cursed and looked
closely at the drill - and noticed that the direction switch was on
"reverse".   Attention to detail is important in any endeavor.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 19:55 Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Ted,
>
> The routing of the 240 volt wiring is a discussion between you and the
> electrician - but there is always "a way" - even if that means drilling
> through concrete (not nice, but possible).
>
> Unless the wiring route is short, take Jim Beown's (K9YC) advice about
> conductor sizes.  Large conductors are not required for the current
> draw, but oversize wire will help reduce the voltage drop when current
> is drawn.
>
> Putting all shack receptacles on a dedicated circuit for both 240 volts
> and 120 volts AC will help a lot with received noise in your receiver,
> and will isolate your shack powering from other circuits in the house.
> K9YC gives good advice on this subject, even though your electrician may
> consider it overkill for Jim's recommended wire size.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 4/28/2018 2:08 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
> > Placing both PS and amp where the 220 VAC outlet is accessible is
> possible; but then I wouldn't be able to see the amp while operating, which
> I would like to do.  Wouldn't feel comfortable with a 1500 watt amp running
> way out of sight.  It would also then be in the kitchen on a floor above.
> Not aesthetically the best that way, either.
> >
> > As I described in reply to one other suggestion:
> >
> > The "shack" is a spare bedroom in the lowest (of three) level of the
> house, which because it is built into a hillside and therefore half of it
> is below grade, has 12 inch concrete walls and a six inch (as I remember
> it) concrete floor covered only with a carpet and carpet pad.  The ceiling
> of that room is finished as is the entire interior.  The problem with
> snaking a line through the walls from the distribution box which is on a
> deck above ground level is that the entire space between the inside side of
> the concrete and the drywall is filled with cellular foam insulation.  It
> was, when we had it built, the recommended way to go for the mountain
> climate.  I did think to have a conduit put through the wall to allow
> antenna feedline coax to go through; but the electrician who was there said
> there is now no way to get a 220 line through the walls without major
> destruction.  I might bring it overhead (between the finished ceiling of
> the lower level and the floor of the next lev
>  el up) but then to get it down to a usable level in the "shack" would
> require a conduit running down the inside wall surface.  That may be what I
> will have to do . . .

> Message delivered to r...@wc3t.us

Rich Hurd / WC3T / DMR: 3142737
PA Army MARS, Northampton County RACES, EPA-ARRL Public Information Officer
for Scouting
Latitude: 40.761621 Longitude: -75.288988  (40°45.68' N 75°17.33' W) Grid:
*FN20is*