Mark,

Using the cabling shown on page 6 of the P3 manual, you must connect the computer to the P3 with an RS-232 cable or USB to serial adapter (not the K3S USB cable).
Also set the K3 menu RS-232 parameter to 38400 and NOT USB.
Be certain the P3 is also set to 38400 baud.

Again, pull the boot on the RJ-45 dongle back and push on the metal part of the plug to make certain it is fully seated.

If you switch to the K3S to computer USB cable, you must use the CBLP3Y cable between the K3S and the P3 as shown on page 5 of the P3 manual.

73,
Don W3FPR