I agree it is a weak signal mode. Years ago I used to set up the KX3 at 5 watts
and VPN back to my home network from the hotel and operated JT65 and JT9
remotely quite successfully.  Unfortunately the advent of FT-8 has introduced a
large number of individuals not brought up in the tradition of using low power
to communicate on a weak signal mode.  The reality is the introduction of those
who run high power has changed the weak signal FT-8 ecosphere, and for the
worse.  Sadly high power has become the new normal.

On the bright side last night I worked ZL4TT from EN63 (8395 miles) and OK2ZU
(4524 miles) using an abusive 15 watts from the KX3 and a Butternut HF-9V
vertical.

Joe N9JR