On 5/25/2018 1:43 PM, Wes Stewart wrote:
I have no idea what you are actually measuring but it certainly isn't IMD in the classical sense.

I think I made it plain that I was measuring the "envelope" of keying sidebands, usually described as "clicks." This envelope is due to a combination of the shape of the keying waveform and IMD.

FWIW, I really don't care about IMD as a number. What I'm concerned with is clicks, splatter, and phase noise from another station that's loud covering a weaker station I want to work.

While it might be "well known" that IMD decreases at lower power, it isn't necessarily true.

Right -- it depends on the transmitter design and implementation. K6XX's work shows that to be true of the K3, and my measurements (done on 20M as I recall) confirmed it.  I also recall that you noted increased IMD around 15W, which is likely the result of the K3 firmware causing the power amp to be turned off and the QRP output stage to be driving the load at it's full rated power. Under that condition it is consistent with my (and K6XX's) observations that IMD is often lower at reduced power output.

What is really not well known is that in the K3(S) IMD is highly frequency sensitive.

That's news to me.

The 3rd order IMD in my K3S at 10W output varies 18 dB with respect to frequency.

Again, the power amp is not engaged and you're running on the driver. But that much variation also implies a problem. Have you sent the rig back to Elecraft?

Furthermore, my K3S on 10, 17, 20, 30 and 40-meters has higher IMD at 20W than at 100W.

Interesting.

73, Jim

Wes  N7WS