Many cavers are also hams. We use 2M HTs for communication on the surface when project caving in Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. The WA6BAI repeater lets us coordinate with people in Fresno from near the cave entrance. We can let the cook know how many people are planning to come for dinner.

Over half of the NCRC cave rescue instructors are hams. Ham radios have been very useful in some emergency situations. For example see the President's Letter in: <http://wvara.org/het/Archive/heterodyne-2014-08.pdf>

We have also used QRP 80M radios for cave to surface communications. The radio in the cave had two random wire laid on the floor of the passage actin as an antenna with a tuner. This setup let us coordinate a cave radio demo showing how to locate the surface location directly over the transmitter in the cave.

More information about cave radios is in the back issues of Speleonics <http://caves.org/section/commelect/drupal/speleonics>.

73 Bill AE6JV