Wayne,
     Here on the east coast, we have boaters who run up or down the
intracoastal waterway. The direction is dependant on season. Ham radio is used
for two important purposes, the marine nets and non-business email. In the
morning, the Waterway Net meets for traffic, position reports, and items of
interest. The Maritime Mobile Net meets during the afternoon, east coast time,
for assistance to voyaging boaters.

     Email is passed and received through the Winlink network. With stations
world wide, a boater can have access on some band almost anytime. And, all of
this, doesn't even touch on the other ham activities. Bjorn points out that he
uses his backstage, so do the majority of sailors. Having gear that tolerates a
salty environment would be great..

73,
Barry
K3NDM