As I said, I wasn't taking into account the differences in bandwidth, so my comment wasn't accurate.

Dave   AB7E

On 6/1/2018 11:28 PM, Josh Fiden wrote:
Referenced to the noise floor at what bandwidth? If you're claiming FT8 can copy sigs 20 dB below what you can copy on CW, that's nonsense and not even true for JT65. Anecdotal info from hardcore 6m guys (translate: real world results) say they're not working anything they couldn't copy on CW. It's a PITA with everyone crammed in a few kHz and a couple bad sigs wipe it out. In practice, it might be a few dB better than copy by ear with a narrow filter if you're decent at ESP level copy.

That said, I've been using JT65 on 6m EME for several years and love it. I'm not at all a luddite about this. Just trying to be realistic.

I sure hope the whole June VHF contest doesn't ignore CW & SSB, and try to squeeze onto 313 !

YMMV

73,
Josh W6XU