I got two replies, one off-list, that they can replicate this effect.  Study of the manual did not answer the question ... or provide a fix ... but I'm acutely aware that words that someone writes and that are crystal clear to them may [and often are] not nearly that clear to me. [:-)

If there's a fix in the works from Elecraft:  My preference would be to maintain the CENTER setting when switching bands.  This does get a little complex as a result of the 4 possible choices in MENU-->FixMode ... I run my P3 in FullSpan mode and that would be fairly simple -- if VFO-B is changed such that tapping A/B would put the cursor off-screen, just shift the screen an integral number of spans to get it on-screen.  HalfSpan, Slide, and Static modes are more problematical.

In the meantime, I will live with the current behavior.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County