Having the P3 remember the last-used span *and center frequency* on each
band across power cycles when the P3 is in Fixed mode will be a big
improvement, even if the P3 ignores the operating mode.  The K3 remembers
the last-used frequency and mode on each band, so the two devices will
(more or less) stay in sync. if this is provided.

But I think it would be beter that time and the limited memory of the P3 be
devoted instead to implementing the *often-requested USB mouse support*, so
one can just point and click and fine tune the P3 and VFO with a mouse,
like all other SDRs can currently do.  Left click sets VFO A, right click
sets VFO B, mouse wheel fine tunes the last click.  Intuitive and fast.
This would be so MUCH faster and easier than trying to use the tiny P3 knob
and P3 cursors.

Regarding macros, given the current P3 command set, one would need far too
many P3 macros to set the scope edges of the P3 appropriately for every
combination of band and mode, so this will be of limited value unless you
only operate on a few bands and modes.  But being able to run macros from
the P3 buttons would be useful for other purposes.

P3 Center Mode is of such limited value that I hope the P3 does NOT switch
to Center Mode whenever I switch bands.  Fixed Mode "HALF" has worked
really well for me, since only the VFO cursors move, instead of the entire
band.  This should have been the P3 default, IMHO.  But, this only works
well after you have set up the P3's band edges.  I've published Win-Test
scripts to automated this.

The Win-Test scripts control the P3 scope settings via simple text commands
in the logging program.  They can also be assigned to function keys.  The
scripts have knowledge of both the top and bottom frequency limits of every
phone and CW sub-band, so they can intelligently set appropriate edges
after reading the frequency of VFO A.  You cannot do this in a K3 or P3
macro, because a macro cannot "read" the K3 frequency then do any math or
complex logic on the returned value.

To use the scripts from Win-Test, all you have to do is type SPAN60
[Enter], say, and the left and right edges of the scope are set to
appropriate values, based on the current frequency and mode, e.g. 7.000 to
7.060 if VFO A was on 7.040 CW, or 7.125-7.185 if VFO A was on 7.130 LSB
(USA phone sub-band starts at 7.125).

See https://bit.ly/wtscripts and download P3scripts.zip (incluces source
code).  I am encouraging others to copy the same logic into their own
logging software like N1MM+.

In the mean time, since there's a free version of Win-Test, and since it
can happily share access to the K3's serial port via OmniRig, you could use
Win-Test only for setting the P3 scope edges, while using any other
software like Writelog, WSJT-X, or HDSDR, software that supports OmniRig.
N1MM+ and HRD cannot (and will not) support OmniRig, so they cannot be used
at the same time as Win-Test, except via VSPE, COM0COM, ELTIMA or similar,
but then proper interleaving of K3/P3 commands from multiple programs
simultaneously may not be guaranteed.

The free version of Win-Test is at http://download.win-test.com/v4/freeware/
.  OmniRig may be downloaded from http://dxatlas.com/Download.asp.  To get
the most recent rig definition updates, be sure to download and extract the
"INI files for OmniRig" to the "Rigs" sub-folder after installing OmniRig.

I'll be happy to help anyone get Win-Test going with my P3 scripts, if you
cannot figure out how to do it (hint:  set radio type in Win-Test Interface
Configuration to OmniRig, and read the Readme file inside P3scripts.zip).
Contact me off list if you need help.

73,
Bob, N6TV