Exactly right, Will. In the K3/K3S, we have a very strong mixer and post amp
followed by crystal filters at the first I.F., 8.215 MHz. Since the IF and ADC
are down-stream from these filters, they are very well protected from
out-of-band signals.

Our crystal filters are manufactured to very tight tolerances and as a result,
provide consistently high dynamic range.

The P3 panadapter gets its signal ahead of the crystal filters so it can
display a wide spectrum. It is in effect a direct-sampling SDR in its own
right.

The beauty of having the panadapter’s receiver chain (P3) fully separate from
the demodulation receive chain (K3) is that demodulation remains unaffected (up
to very signal levels) even if the panadapter has to separately reduce its own
gain. “Pure” SDRs (IC7300, IC7610, Flex) don’t have this luxury; everything
runs from the same wideband ADC, without narrowband protection via crystal
filters.

Another K3/K3S advantage is in its very narrow ham-band RF filters. These are
positioned ahead of the P3 pickoff point, benefitting both the panadapter and
demodulation channels.

73,
Wayne
N6KR