 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Field Day rig experience
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Date: Thursday, June 14, 2018, 4:47 PM

 Will,

 First of all I have said before and will repeat
 it, I detest the term "roofing
 filter."  That said, by the generally
 accepted definition, you are wrong. See
 Elecraft's take on this:

 http://www.elecraft.com/K3/Roofing_Filters.htm

 If you will think in
 Wayne's terms, the post-mixer filter is a
 "protective"
 filter, not a
 mode-specific filter.  So the question becomes, how much

 protection is necessary?  In
 Elecraft's case, quite a lot, IMHO.  With its QRP
 DNA, Elecraft uses post crystal filter
 circuitry that minimizes current
 consumption.  The trade off for this is the
 need for a bank of pricey crystal
 filters
 to limit the frequencies that the circuitry is exposed
 to.

 Now what if the
 subsequent circuitry doesn't require this much
 protection
 because it is more robust?  We
 now have direct-sampling radios that can digitize
 a whole ham band with good performance. If the
 BW was limited to 10-15 kHz in an
 up
 conversion configuration they should be even better.  The
 limitation now
 becomes LO phase noise, but
 newer synthesizer designs overcome that obstacle.
 Another thing to note is that IMD in crystal
 filters is reported to be inversely
 proportional to BW. So a wider filter might
 actually be better from that
 perspective.
 Some Elecraft filters exhibit passive IMD BTW.

 Wes  N7WS

 On 6/14/2018 8:01 AM, WILLIE BABER wrote:
 > Hello Wes,
 >
 > I took a look.  Both designs are using
 the idea of "roofing filter" to refer to
 up-conversion radios similar to the use of up-conversion
 3khz filters as roofing filters in Icom radios.

 > "Roofing
 filter" (a mode specific filter after the first mixer
 including narrow cw filters) only makes sense in the
 context  of the history of superhet design and in
 particular the use of one broad 15 khz first I-F (so that
 all modes may pass through it) typical of all Japanese
 radios until recently.  Calling a 45 mhz filter at the
 first I-F a "roofing filter" as noted in the info
 you sent entirely misses the point of what roofing filter
 means.  Or, to put it another way, all Ten-Tec radios had
 roofing filters in them (and were ssb and cw only) well
 before the term roofing filter was coined!  Which is why an
 Omni C will out perform any wide (15 khz) first I-F Japanese
 radio, even those built well after the 1980 vintage Omni
 C.

 > Unless mode
 specific up-conversion crystal filters can be made and as
 narrow as 200 hz (this is possible with down-conversion)
 then "roofing filter" and up conversion
 doesn't make sense historically or in reality.

 > Actually, Icom says
 that did it with 1.2khz filter at 64 mhz in the Icom 7851,
 though I'm not convinced the filter is that narrow, and
 1.2khz is far from the 200hz filter that my K3 has in it
 (however, the placement of this filter is why the 7851 is
 among the best radios in Sherwood's chart, on cw).

 > It is possible to
 make very narrow and precise crystal filters as narrow as
 the 200 hz inexpensively, and this is the point of having
 multiple roofing filters at the first I-F.  So, this is the
 origin of the term roofing filter---in comparison to the
 barn-door up conversion first I-F.

 > 73, Will, wj9b
 >
 > CWops #1085
 > CWA
 Advisor levels II and III
 > http://cwops.org/

 > On Wed, 6/13/18, Wes Stewart<wes_n...@triconet.org>
 wrote:

 Re: [Elecraft] Field Day rig experience
 >   To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 >   Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 3:08
 PM

 Certainly not to disparage the
 >   K3(S)
 architecture (I have two of them) there is
 >   nothing inherently wrong with an
 up-conversion
 >   receiver, if modern
 hardware is used.

 >   See:https://martein.home.xs4all.nl/pa3ake/hmode/g3sbi_intro.html
 >
 >   and my friend
 Cornell's,
 >   Star-10
 transceiver.

 >https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/eb33/5c12858779a653d9b9b93ca20120aebb7616.pdf
 >
 >   Wes  N7WS
 >

 >     On 6/13/2018 11:38 AM, WILLIE
 BABER
 >   wrote:
 >
 > Robert is talking about the

 crystal filters, also known as roofing filters now-days,
 >   that are typically placed after the
 first mixer (I
 >   mistakenly typed
 "ahead" but I meant

 "after" as Robert notes), though there is a
 post
 >   amp and NB before these filters
 in K2 and K3.
 >   >
 >   > The idea is that a
 >   crystal filter right after the first
 mixer gives high
 >   dynamic range
 because high selectivity comes before the
 >   receiver has developed stages of gain
 that otherwise could
 >   cause blocking
 or IMD, especially when selectivity is
 >   postponed to the second mixer while
 ignoring gain
 >   distribution in prior
 stages of the receiver.  This basic

 idea was popularized in Solid State Design for the Radio
 >   Amateur, and it was applied to Ten-Tec
 radios for decades
 >   (at a 9 mhz
 I-F).
 >   >
 >

 >   Roofing filter gets defined in
 relationship to Japanese
 >   radios that
 had up conversion 15 khz filters at the first
 >   I-F, and generally lower dynamic range
 as a result, (but you
 >   got all modes,
 general coverage, and optional crystal
 >   filters at the second I-F).
 >   >
 >   > Good
 for everyone radios.... but with

 lower dynamic range and phase noise from the early
 >   synthesizers.  This is why Ten-Tec
 radios were so popular
 >   among
 contesters, especially Omni V and VI (modified with a
 >   narrow cw filter at the first I-F).
 >   >
 >   > 73,
 Will, wj9b