I have nice examples of all the brands and I have my favorites.

The "Man/Machine" interface as an engineering challenge is always fascinating.

Doug -- KJ0F

On 7/4/2018 11:10 AM, Tom wrote:
My experience with technical support from Icom, .. most emails go unanswered.  Phone calls get resolved.  Very little feedback for firmware updates or issues. My experience with Yaesu, some of the most rude and condescending support staff anywhere. Horrible to deal with.  Everything is "send in the radio". My experience with Elecraft, top notch, always want to help, sometimes slow firmware updates, but always proportional to the number of requests.

Ergonomics:  Feel of controls, and quality of controls: Yaeus first, followed by Icom, then Elecraft.  Using a FTDX-5000 is just real pleasure.

73 Tom
va2fsq.com

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Turnbull
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 1:40 PM
To: 'Doug Person' ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3S VS: IC-7300

Friends,
   There are some other points not mentioned.   Yes, I agree the K3 is
pricy but the performance is there.   However for most things the IC-7300
does a grand job as does the TD590s.    For now and for some considerable
time in the past though the K3 has had a superior receiver good in contests
and with high power neighbours.

    Other K3/S advantages:
1)Modular construction allows one to only purchase what is relevant to your
needs and to build the radio up over time if desired.   This also
facilitates repair as modules can be swapped or sent back to California.
No need to send the entire radio.   Elecraft if you make a new radio in the
future try to maintain this modular approach.

2) Just what type of support does one get from Icom?   I very much doubt
there is an equal forum with the designers involved.    Support from the
factory in getting questions answered is also excellent.

3)More attention should be given to the clean output signal of the K3.

4)I wonder if the facilitation of digimodes by the 7610 is the equal of the
K3/S.

5) There is a very full line of accessories for the Elecraft line and again
all of this is modular.

6) The ability to at least assemble the radio gives the owner of a kit built
radio a better understanding as to operation and trouble shooting if ever
needed.   It also saves on import duties into the EU.

     Maybe Wayne should toot Elecrafts horn for these advantages as well.
Again though you can work DX with an old FTDX 100 or Drake 2B with Johnson
Ranger at much lower cost it will not be so well facilitated. The fully
equipped K3 is not an inexpensive radio it is a Porsche of the radio world.

      I can not imagine a company better than Elecraft to deal with though I understand that Flex is pretty good and so to has TenTec been in the past.
Are they as good - this is hard for me to believe.

                  73 Doug EI2CN